Skip to main content
Living in Europe, Working in EuropeEntry conditions/visasNetherlands

Entry conditions and visas


Depending on your nationality entry conditions may apply. You may need to have an entry visa and/or a residence permit. If so, your Dutch host organisation will usually deal with a lot of the paperwork, especially when your stay in the Netherlands is longer than 90 days. Here you can read about the eligible entry conditions and find out what applies to you.

As a non-EU citizen you might need a visa to travel into the Netherlands and a separate permit to work and live in the country. To find out what visa you need to travel into the Netherlands, please visit the this website from the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs. To find out what permit you need to live and work please visit the guidance webpage of the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND).



A visa is a legal document allowing you to cross the border to The Netherlands and Schengen area. Your stay is limited to a maximum of 90 days.



Residence permits

When you are staying in the Netherlands for longer than 90 days and you do not have a European nationality, you probably need a residence permit in order to have legal stay. When you are scientific staff your host organisation will arrange the residence permit for you.



EURAXESS Information

Additional information

Embassies - Legalisation - Family & immigration procedures - Pre-departure - Upon arrival