Skip to main content
Living in Europe, Working in EuropeEntry conditions/visasNetherlands

Additional information on immigration procedures


Read up on how the following topics are relevant for immigration procedures:


Embassies and consulates are involved in handing out entry visas such as a Schengen visa or MVV. Not all countries have a Dutch embassy or consulate, those countries will be served by a regional embassy or consulate. To find out which official Dutch representation services you country, please visit this webpage on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. 

Legalisation of documents

You may have to provide the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) or the Dutch municipal authorities with documents such as marriage or birth certificates. Please note that any foreign documents that you present to the Dutch government need to be translated to Dutch, English, French or German by a sworn translator and it may be necessary to attach an apostille stap or to have the document legalised in some other way. 

Information regarding legislation can be on the website of the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs website.

Family & immigration procedures

You may want your partner and/or children to be with you in the Netherlands. Perhaps they wish to come over together with you, or join you at a later stage. Either way, be sure to mention any plans to your host institution or Dutch employer as early as possible. This will allow your HR contact to give you the best advice on how to deal with all the necessary paperwork. There might be additional requirements when you bring your family. To find out what they are, look under the description of your specific permit on the website of the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND). 


If you are bringing your family members, there are some additional requirements to bear in mind:

  • Sufficient financial means: You must be able to show you can take care for your family financially.
  • Regarding your relationship: If you are married you need to show your marriage certificate. If you are not married, you must submit certificates that neither of you is married to anyone else. These certificates may not be older than 6 months and must be correctly legalised.
  • Regarding children: Birth Certificate of each child that will be staying with you in the Netherlands. Documentation must be correctly legalised.



What do you have to arrange when you are going to move to the Netherlands? Did you complete all necessary paperwork? Is legalisation or verification needed of some documents? What should you pack? Before you leave, check the following matters.

Bureaucratic matters

  • Apply for your passport.

    Don't forget your family members: Do they need passports as well?
  • Apply for your entry visa, if needed.

    Again, don't forget you family members.
  • Get your pet's passport and accompanying certificates

    (no earlier than 14 days before departure)
  • Obtain necessary documents and/or several copies for residence permit application (if needed) and other bureaucratic affairs once in the Netherlands.

    • proof of health insurance (if coverage is to carry over temporarily)
    • birth certificate (of you and accompanying family members)
    • passport (make sure it is valid long enough)
    • marriage certificate
    • divorce decree
    • non-marriage/single status certificates
    • adoption papers
    • financial records
    • documents, codes, etc. to access your financial accounts from abroad

What to bring?

Check your airline for the quotes on goods to bring. You can also check the Dutch Customs website on what kind of goods you are allowed into the country. If you are bringing portable appliances, make sure they are compatible with wall outlets in the Netherlands that have a voltage of 220. Voltage can easily be converted with the use of transformers on most appliances (up to 1,000 watts). These may be bought from expats leaving The Netherlands or from most hardware stores. As for clothing, the Netherlands is a multi-national country with no dress code. Dutch people tend to dress casually, but neatly. Even in the work place, dress codes are often quite relaxed.

Removal goods & taxes

The general rule is that you have to pay taxes when importing goods, even personal ones, into the Netherlands. You also have to pay fees for registering your car or motorcycle after import. This may involve import duties, VAT*, excise duty or Private Motor Vehicle and Motorcycle Tax (in Dutch: Belasting van personenauto’s en motorrijwielen, abbreviated with BPM). However, if you are moving house, you may in certain cases obtain a tax exemption for your personal goods. To do this you must apply to Dutch Customs for an exemption permit and satisfy a number of conditions.Check the information provided by Expatax for more information.


We advise you to start your orientation on accommodation before arriving.

Upon arrival

After arriving in the Netherlands, there are some legal procedures that you have to complete. Check-in with your employer's HR department so they know you have arrived. They will also tell you which of the following formalities apply to you.

  • If you filed for a residence permit card you will have to collect your permit. - your host organisation might know more about how to go about doing this.
  • Register at the Town Hall in your local municipality (so-called BRP).
  • BSN - Through registration at your Town Hall you will automatically be assigned a BSN.
  • Register with a local doctor and dentist.
  • Take out appropriate health insurance.
  • Open a bank account.