Health insurance

Living in Europe | Health insurance | Netherlands

During your stay in the Netherlands you must make sure you are adequately insured, both for your health and other risks. Your host institution can advise you on which insurance to take out/bring. On this page you can find information on the health insurance system and a list of other insurances you should consider in order to be  adequately insured.



Government non-profit information centre regarding healthcare insurance.

The Sociale Verzekeringsbank (SVB) implements social insurance schemes, such as AOW pension, child benefit (AKW) and the personal care budget (PGB). If you qualify for a pension or benefit, they can help you by providing information and making sure that you get what you are entitled to. They prevent and fight misuse by checking that they do not make payments to people who are not entitled to them.

They  are also involved in preparing and testing new schemes and regulations. They make sure they can be implemented smoothly and efficiently, for as little cost as possible. It is their task to advise the Dutch government  this.

At the SVB you can apply for an assessment to see if you qualify for Dutch Public Health Insurance (Wlz assessment) by visiting this webpage

Are responsible for health care benefits and have specific information about health care for people that move to the Netherlands from abroad.

This is an umbrella organisation of 10 Dutch health Insurance providers




Need Personalized Assistance?

Find the nearest EURAXESS Centre