Housing in the Netherlands is generally in short supply and can therefore be very expensive and hard to find. It might prove quite a challenge to find suitable accommodation that fits your budget. If you prepare your search well, you will avoid unpleasant surprises later on.
- Arranged by host. Many Dutch host organizations can arrange housing for their PhD students and guest researchers. The institutions cooperate with local agencies to find temporary residence for their guests.
- Public housing. Public housing is a cheap option, as the maximum rent for the apartment is determined by law. However, it is almost impossible to find public housing on short notice and for short-term accommodation. The waiting lists can be over 5 years in the big cities.
- Private market. Private rentals are usually the first choice for expats as they can easily be rented for short-term stays by foreigners temporarily living in the Netherlands. Most landlords ask for a residence permit and for a deposit of 1-2 months’ rent. Tenancy agreements are usually signed for a fixed period of time. Private housing can be expensive in the Netherlands.
- Assisted by a relocation company. Another option is to contact a Relocation company. Relocation companies specialize in assisting expats moving house and all the issues connected with it. They guide you through the entire relocation process, ensuring that your needs are met through a multitude of assistance services such as: cost of living analysis, temporary housing, home marketing and home finding assistance, quality household goods mover selection, changing your mailing address, scheduling utility connections, getting your driver's license and registering your automobile, finding daycare, and more. Many of them offer a free consultation so you can see if their services are right for you.
- Buying. You can also decide to buy a house. However, this tends to be very costly and involves some risks. It can have its benefits if you are planning to stay for a longer period of time.
Services: expat support organization helping English speakers of all nationalities to settle in and make the most of life in the Netherlands.
- Connect International
Services: information, support and service for businesses and international residents to help familiarize them with the practical, cultural, educational and commercial aspects of the Northern Netherlands.
- Dutch Living Services
Services: relocation management firm providing a wide range of customized solutions to multinational organizations for the relocation of their human capital: immigration services, housing & schools, settling-in services, etc.
- EuroHome Relocation Services
Services: leading relocation service provider in Central and Eastern Europe and member of World Relocation Network.
- Just Landed Netherlands
Services: whether you're an exchange student, professional or pensioner - Just Landed's information, products and services will help you make the most of your life in the Netherlands.
Services: orientation and relocation support services to foreign companies and employees who wish to establish their base in the Netherlands.
- PAS BM Relocation Services
Services: classic relocation services, cultural training, work permit & visa application, income tax filing services.
- The Relocation Company
Services: relocation, housing, finance, tax assistance, other.
- Settle Service
- Stoit Groep
LINKS - OTHER EXPAT COMPANIES
- TaXpat Services:
expatriate tax services
- Domestic Outsourcing
Services: ex-pat services, administrative support, internet & telephony, cleaning service, pet service, etc.
- Relocation Advisers
Wide range of furnished and semi-furnished accommodations, in particular in and around Amsterdam, but also for example in Haarlem, Wassenaar and 't Gooi.
LINKS - HOUSING
- Direct Wonen
The largest leasing agent in the Netherlands with 22 branch offices.
A resource for home buyers with real estate information supplied by members of the Netherlands Association of Real Estate Brokers NVM and independently sourced neighborhood information from publishing house Wegener.
- Dutch Housing Centre
Agency for luxury living for international companies who need temporary furnished/unfurnished accommodations for their employees.
Rental accommodation in Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The Hague and Utrecht.
Interactive housing search service hosted by Expatica.
- Perfect Housing
Specializes in housing and relocation services for client companies and their international employees and families in the Netherlands.
- Hakkenbroek Housing Company
Real estate agency both for temporary rent of luxury houses and apartments and for assistance when buying a property in the Netherlands.
- Haagen & Partners
Housing agency covering the entire Randstad.
- Van Paaschen
Real estate agency specialized in working with expatriates.
- Holland Home Management
Holland Home Management provides living accommodations for ex-pats.
With 27 offices located throughout the Netherlands, Rots-Vast Groep is one of the country's largest specialists in the field of residential rental brokerage and property management.
Dutch Association of Real Estate Brokers ('Nederlandse Vereniging van Makelaars')
- Huis Te Koop (Dutch only)
Information site where owners of real-estate offer their house for sale to potential buyers without broker involvement.
Airbnb (for temporary stays)
Airbnb, Inc. is an online marketplace for arranging or offering lodging, primarily homestays, or tourism experiences. The company does not own any of the real estate listings, nor does it host events; it acts as a broker, receiving commissions from each booking.
- Holland Handbook
Essential information for the expatriate on all aspects of living and working in the Netherlands such as: career, fiscal issues, health care, housing, insurance, international education, registration and telecommunications. Also more general information on Dutch culture and habits, tourist information, language and international clubs). Published by Xpat Media (Publisher: XPat Media - ISBN 978 94 6319 064 0).
Read more in the Accommodation for foreign researchers in the Netherlands factsheet (60.34 KB)
Read more about mortgages in the Netherlands: