ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Luxembourg
RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciencesMedical sciences
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)Recognised Researcher (R2)Established Researcher (R3)Leading Researcher (R4)
APPLICATION DEADLINE25/03/2021 23:59 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONLuxembourg › Luxembourg
TYPE OF CONTRACTOther
About the University
The University of Luxembourg aspires to be one of Europe’s most highly regarded universities with a distinctly international and interdisciplinary character. It fosters the cross-fertilisation of research and teaching, is relevant to its country, is known worldwide for its research and teaching in targeted areas, and is establishing itself as an innovative model for contemporary European Higher Education. The University`s core asset is its well-connected world-class academic staff which will attract the most motivated, talented and creative students and young researchers who will learn to enjoy taking up challenges and develop into visionary thinkers able to shape society.
Within the University, the Luxembourg Centre for Systems Biomedicine (LCSB) is a highly interdisciplinary research centre (IC), integrating experimental biology and computational biology approaches in order to develop the foundation of a future predictive, preventive and personalized medicine.
Area: the applicant will be an employee at the Luxembourg Centre for Systems Biomedicine (LCSB), a highly interdisciplinary research centre, which integrates experimental and computational biology approaches in order to understand principal mechanisms of disease pathogenesis and to develop new tools in diagnosis and therapy. Within the LCSB, the Aquatic Platform operates as a facility that uses zebrafish as an in vivo disease model. This vertebrate model allows researchers to gain insights into the aetiology and progression of diseases, and to perform drug screens to identify small molecules that could potentially be used for the treatment of such diseases.
Description: you will assist on the maintenance and caretaking activities of the aquatic facility at the LCSB during 3 days of the week (Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays), on the weekends (Saturdays and Sundays) and on legal holidays (according to official calendar) by performing day-to-day husbandry duties to ensure animal welfare. Also, the animal care technician will contribute to the organization of the facility and on the maintenance of a safe and clean facility environment.
More specifically your tasks will include:
- Performance of animal caretaking daily duties, e.g. feeding, controlling water parameters, collection and sorting of embryos, health monitoring, among others
- Ensuring enrichment and animal welfare
- Set mating cages (upon request of the users)
- Perform supporting tasks for the facility/laboratory according to guidelines and instructions
- Ordering consumables and maintaining stocks
- Maintenance of a clean, organized facility environment
- Follow and comply with safety regulations and legislation
- Keep a record of the duties in a well-organized lab notebook
- Participation on animal welfare body meetings and on monthly technical meetings
- Participation on continuous training seminars
- A bachelor or technical degree in biology, marine biology, veterinary or similar
- Working experience with animals, particularly fish species, is essential
- Owning a certificate for working with laboratory animals (Function C or A according to the European Directive) is required
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Good working knowledge of English is required. Knowledge of either German, French, or Luxemburgish will be considered as an advantage
- Opportunity to work in a modern, semi-automated aquatic facility
- A key role in cutting-edge research projects involving zebrafish
- Opportunity to work in an international, interdisciplinary research environment
- Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract 12 Month - 21h/week, 8h/weekend, and 3h/legal holidays (parental leave replacement & supporting increase workload for research projects)
- Work Hours: Full Time 40.0 Hours per Week
- Location: Belval
- Internal Title: Animal care technician
- Foreseen starting date: 1st of May 2021
- Job Reference: UOL03894
Applications (in English) should contain the following documents:
- A detailed Curriculum vitae
- A scan of your laboratory animal science certificate
- A motivation letter that includes a description of previous professional experiences
- Contact details of one or two referees
Early application is highly encouraged, as the applications will be processed upon reception. Please apply ONLINE formally through the HR system. Applications by email will not be considered.
The University of Luxembourg embraces inclusion and diversity as key values. We are fully committed to removing any discriminatory barrier related to gender, and not only, in recruitment and career progression of our staff.
Here’s what awaits you at the University
- Multilingual and international character. Modern institution with a personal atmosphere. Staff coming from 90 countries. Member of the “University of the Greater Region” (UniGR).
A modern and dynamic university. High-quality equipment. WiFi on campus. Close ties to the business world and to the Luxembourg labour market. A unique urban site with excellent infrastructure.
A partner for society and industry. Cooperation with European institutions, innovative companies, the Financial Centre and with numerous non-academic partners such as ministries, local governments, associations, NGOs …
- https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__wwwen.uni.lu_univer... rel="noopener noreferrer" target="_blank">Find out more about the University
- https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__wwwen.uni.lu_contac... rel="noopener noreferrer" target="_blank">Addresses, maps & routes to the various sites of the University
EURAXESS offer ID: 598005
Posting organisation offer ID: 735217
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.