Skip to main content
Living in Europe, Working in EuropeEntry conditions/visasNetherlands

Residence permits


If you are a non EU/EER citizen and your stay in The Netherlands will be longer than 90 days, you probably need a residence permit. To make sure if this applies to you, you can do the visa wizard check.

Introduction to Dutch residence permits

The residence permit is a plastic card the size of a credit card. This card serves as proof of your identity, nationality and lawful residence in the Netherlands.

Your residence permit allows you to enter and exit the Netherlands and travel through the Schengen area. Your stay in other Schengen countries is limited to a maximum period of 90 days within a period of 180 days. If you intend to stay abroad longer, you must comply with the immigration regulations of that country. Use the Short-stay Visa Calculator to calculate your remaining travel days under a Schengen short-stay visa.

The full rights you receive depend on the residence permit’s purpose of stay.

Types of residence permits for highly skilled people

Each residence permit is given for a specific ‘purpose of stay’, which dictates the rights attached to the residence permit.

Scientific staff

Other academic highly skilled staff:


Orientation Year Highly educated people

When you have completed scientific research or when you have obtained a PhD, you are elidgeble for an residence permit that allows you to look for a job or start a company. During teh year you are free on the Dutch labour market. For more information, please visit this webpage of the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Services. Applicants are able to apply for this permit themselves. 

Going abroad during your stay

If you are going abroad for research purposes different rules apply to you depending on your residence permit, the lenght of your stay and the country you are going to.

Residence permit 'scientific staff under EU directive 2016/801'

for a stay up to 90 days


for a stay from 91 up to 180 days


for a stay from 181 days


Application procedure done by your host institution

The Dutch residence permit system for highly skilled migrants and scientific Researchers is based on a contract between the immigration services (IND) and the host institutions, which recognizes the host institution/employer as a recognized sponsor. Only with a recognized sponsor label  can a host institution, (like a company or research institution) receive third country nationals for the purpose of highly skilled work such as scientific research. This contract allows for quick and smooth procedures and exemption for a work permit application. 

Three consequences

  1. Firstly you cannot apply for your residence permit yourself, this can only be done by a host who has a contract with the IND.
  2. Secondly being a recognised sponsor gives vcertain responsibilities to your host institution.They will have to act as a responsible partner to the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Service, and they will need to gather certain personal information and documentation on their behalf. You will need to inform your host institution of any changes in your residence status and they are your first point of call for questions. 
  3. The procedures are extremely slim and quick.

Duration of a residence permit

The duration of a residence permit for scientific work equals your contract, with a maximum of 5 years. If your stay will exceed this duration. Your host organisation will apply for an extension. (make sure they apply for this extension in time, so you will not end up with a gap in your years of residence.) When you change employers or tasks, a change of residence permit might be necessary. If this is the case, this will also be dealt with by your (future) employer/host organisation. Of course if you will no longer work for an employer, you will have to take care of this yourself.

More information

For more information please contact your employer/host organisation, or the website of the Dutch Immingration and Naturalisation Services IND.