ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Luxembourg
RESEARCH FIELDComputer scienceEngineeringMedical sciencesTechnology
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)Recognised Researcher (R2)Established Researcher (R3)Leading Researcher (R4)
APPLICATION DEADLINE25/03/2021 23:59 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONLuxembourg › Luxembourg
TYPE OF CONTRACTOther
About the University
The University of Luxembourg aspires to be one of Europe’s most highly regarded universities with a distinctly international and interdisciplinary character. It fosters the cross-fertilisation of research and teaching, is relevant to its country, is known worldwide for its research and teaching in targeted areas, and is establishing itself as an innovative model for contemporary European Higher Education. The University`s core asset is its well-connected world-class academic staff which will attract the most motivated, talented and creative students and young researchers who will learn to enjoy taking up challenges and develop into visionary thinkers able to shape society.
The Faculty of Science, Technology and Medicine (FSTM) contributes multidisciplinary expertise in the fields of Mathematics, Physics, Engineering, Computer Science, Life Sciences and Medicine. Through its dual mission of teaching and research, the FSTM seeks to generate and disseminate knowledge and train new generations of responsible citizens, in order to better understand, explain and advance society and environment we live in.
The Security and Networking Lab (SECAN-Lab), headed by Prof. Dr. Thomas Engel, part of the Department of Computer Science of Faculty of Science, Technology and Medicine (FSTM), is currently looking for a Doctoral researcher (PhD student) in Security of Automotive Networks.
The successful applicant will be integrated in SECAN-Lab, a research group which addresses both fundamental and applied research in computer networking, privacy, and security. The doctoral student will be a member of the Doctoral School for Science and Engineering (DSSE) offering a Doctoral Program in Computer Science and Computer Engineering aiming to provide interdisciplinary and internationally competitive research training.
The position takes a key role within the SETICA (SEcuring TIme Critical traffic in (next gen) Automotive networks) project, jointly funded by the Luxembourg National Research Fund (FNR) and Honda R&D Europe, Germany, under the FNR-BRIDGES funding program. The successful candidate will research methods for securing time critical traffic in next generation automotive networks.
Today’s vehicles incorporate more and more enhanced functions such as ADAS and autonomous driving systems, connectivity, smartphone integration, and entertainment for passengers. Efficient communication is the key to facilitate all these functions. For a long time, in-vehicle communication systems have been designed to ensure deterministic communication. However, they are often inflexible, do not provide the bandwidth needs of future cars, and offer insufficient measures for future cyber security challenges. Contrary to conventional in-vehicle communication systems such as CAN, Automotive Ethernet is flexible and offers high bandwidth. While Time Sensitive Networking (TSN) provides deterministic communication on top of traditional Ethernet, and measures like MACsec can provide security, there is no profile that consolidates these properties. Developing such an automotive TSN profile is of the essence for future cars in terms of safety, security, and comfort. The goal of SETICA is solving the research part of this endeavor, participating in IEEE 802.1DG standardization, as well as developing a realistic security-enabled TSN testbed.
In the context of the SETICA project, the PhD candidate will focus on the following main tasks:
- Time synchronization security
- TSN security
- Software-Defined Networking (SDN) Support for Securing TSN
- Building a security-enabled testbed as basis for the aforementioned research items
- Writing a doctoral dissertation in the relevant area
- Presentation of research findings at workshops and conferences
- Publication of scientific papers in peer-reviewed international journals
- Moderate participation in teaching activities
- Master-degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Informatics, or other related field
- Strong background in network security, telecommunication engineering, and Linux programming will be considered as an advantage
- Fluent written and verbal communication skills in English are mandatory
- Willingness to enroll as PhD-student at the University of Luxembourg
- Willingness to spend a research period (up to six months) at the Honda R&D Europe premises in Offenbach, Germany
- Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract 36 Month - extendable up to 48 months in total if required
- Foreseen starting date: 1st of June 2021
- Work Hours: Full Time 40.0 Hours per Week
- Location: Belval
- Employee and student status
- Job Reference: UOL03900
Applications should be submitted online and include:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover letter (max. 1 page) including the personal motivations for applying to a PhD at the University of Luxembourg
- Transcript of academic records (including grades) and copies of diplomas
- Contact information of three references
Early application is highly encouraged, as the applications will be processed upon reception. Please apply ONLINE formally through the HR system. Applications by email will not be considered.
The University of Luxembourg embraces inclusion and diversity as key values. We are fully committed to removing any discriminatory barrier related to gender, and not only, in recruitment and career progression of our staff.
Here’s what awaits you at the University
- Multilingual and international character. Modern institution with a personal atmosphere. Staff coming from 90 countries. Member of the “University of the Greater Region” (UniGR).
A modern and dynamic university. High-quality equipment. WiFi on campus. Close ties to the business world and to the Luxembourg labour market. A unique urban site with excellent infrastructure.
A partner for society and industry. Cooperation with European institutions, innovative companies, the Financial Centre and with numerous non-academic partners such as ministries, local governments, associations, NGOs …
- https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__wwwen.uni.lu_univer... rel="noopener noreferrer" target="_blank">Find out more about the University
- https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__wwwen.uni.lu_contac... rel="noopener noreferrer" target="_blank">Addresses, maps & routes to the various sites of the University
For further details of the group’s current research activities and industry partners, visit: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__secan-2Dlab.uni.lu_... rel="noopener noreferrer" target="_blank">https://secan-lab.uni.lu/ and https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__vehicularlab.uni.lu...
EURAXESS offer ID: 598003
Posting organisation offer ID: 735219
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.