You are here: Home Incoming Researchers Immigration Formalities Visa and embassies Schengen visa (Short Stay visa, VKV)

Schengen visa (Short Stay visa, VKV)

31 Jul 2014

Depending on your nationality, you might need an entry visa in order to enter the Netherlands. For stays of up to 90 days, this entry visa is called a short stay visa or Schengen visa.

Check the visa wizard to find out if you need a Schengen visa.

Tourist visa?

This visa is sometimes referred to as a tourist visa. This is not entirely correct, as the visa will always be issued for a particular purpose of stay. “Tourism” is one possible purpose of stay, but so is “business” or “study”.


The Schengen visa will usually allow you to travel throughout all countries in the Schengen area. Sometimes the visa might be limited to a single country (i.e. the Netherlands). In that case, the Schengen visa will only allow you to travel to and through that particular country.

Please bear in mind that your stay in the Schengen area is limited to a maximum of 90 days within a period of 180 days. This means that once you have been in the Schengen area for 90 days you may not return until another 90 days have passed.

A Schengen visa is a sticker in your passport. The sticker will mention information such as the expiry date of the visa, the maximum number of days you are allowed to stay, and the countries you have been granted access to.

More information

Read more information on how to apply for a Schengen visa and what documents you need.


Document Actions